Make this watermelon agua fresca drink, and I will guarantee that it will quench your thirst in this relentless summer heat. It’s summer, so I know you have some watermelon sitting in your fridge. 🙂
On hot days like the ones we’ve been recently having, I have no desire to eat meals. Cooking heats up the kitchen and I just feel way to uncomfortable to sit down and enjoy a meal. Instead, I crave drinks like this watermelon agua fresca. Watermelon is an incredible source of vitamin A, B6 and C as well as tons of lycopene and antioxidants, so this agua fresca is totally beneficial to your diet (as long as you don’t add any tequila to it).
I used to get this incredible watermelon mint juice from a (now closed) LA Juice. Man I miss that juice (and the lovely owners). I’ve tried other juices out there, but they don’t hold a torch to LA Juice. This recipe is my attempt to recreate that same juice.
TIPS TO MAKE WATERMELON AGUA FRESCA:
- Sweetener: If you have ripe watermelon, it should be sufficient with very little sweetener. Honey syrup (similar to simple syrup – equal parts honey and water, gently warmed until the honey is dissolved) provides a nice earthy, floral note to the drink. Honey gets bonus points, as it puts this drink in the paleo friendly category. If you are vegan, or do not like the taste of honey, agave syrup is a perfect stand in for the honey
- Tartness: To contrast the sweetness of the melon, a good amount of lime is added to the drink. Not enough to make this a melon-limeade. Just enough tartness to complement and highlight the watermelon.
- Mint: I’ve tried making this with other herbs and I always come back to the mint.
- Salt: just a pinch. It enhances the sweetness of the watermelon.
- Booze: If you want to make this drink boozy, cheers! Tequila and vodka are terrific liquors to combine with this drink.
- Nut Bag: you know that bag that languishes in your drawer until you decide to make nut milk? That nut milk bag is the perfect strainer for this watermelon juice. I think it is way more effective vs cheesecloth lined strainer in removing all the melon pulpy bits.
You’re asking, what’s up with the watermelon cubes in the drink? I like freezing watermelon cubes, and using them as “ice” for this drink. No water dilution and you’re bonused with a little extra watermelon to eat. Stay cool, my friends. I hope this drink will help!
WATERMELON AGUA FRESCA | paleo, whole 30
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
6 cups cubed watermelon
2–4 tbsp honey syrup
4 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp mint leaves
pinch of sea salt
Place all ingredients into a blender container.
Blend on high until mixture is smooth.
Strain mixture through a cheesecloth lined strainer, or use a nut bag.
Chill 1 hour before serving
optional: serve over frozen watermelon cubes.